Today Kara talks to the Editorial Director and Vice President of Vogue Knitting, Trisha Malcolm. Trisha was the very first guest on this podcast, so we’re so glad to have her back again today! Trisha is a magazine publisher with a focus on fashion-forward designs that adapt to the needs of today’s knitters. Listen in as we talk about the special 35th anniversary issue of Vogue Knitting Magazine!
“It’s a creative job because every issue is different, and every time something new happens, it’s exciting!”
- Trisha started her career as a high school teacher, which helped her land her first magazine job.
- This year marks Trisha’s 20th anniversary with Vogue Knitting!
- Vogue Knitting started in 1932, so even though this is our 35th anniversary, the brand is 85 years old.
- In 1972 they stopped publishing the magazine when Conde Nast sold the pattern side to Butterick Patterns.
- In the 1980s there was a big knitting boom again, and Trisha’s boss asked Conde Nast to start publishing the magazine again.
- The magazine focuses on fashion, but Trisha feels this has become less important as fashion is more casual.
- Trisha searches online fashion show photos and videos for sweaters, and bundles those images together to create a trend report.
- Trisha is starting to see more shawls and wraps on the runway, so she thinks the designers are taking a nod from the knitters of the world.
- Trisha redesigned the magazine a year ago to include more “behind the scenes” with designers.
- Trisha has big plans to take the magazine into a broader digital environment in order to make the content accessible via phone.
- For the anniversary issue, they invited regular advertisers to choose a favorite past pattern, and put them on the website for free.
- Trisha works with a small team of 8 to 10 members, and together they publish two magazines.
- It’s important for Trisha to work with people who are, first and foremost, nice.
Leave a comment below telling us your favorite part of the newest issue of Vogue Knitting Magazine, and you could WIN a free subscription!
Mentioned in this episode:
Tracey Purtscher’s new book – featured in the anniversary issue
Learn more about Trisha and Vogue Knitting:
Pinterest: Vogue Knitting
Join the Stitchucation Short Row Shawl Challenge!
Take an educational journey all about short row shawls! This challenge, sponsored by the lovely folks at Berrocco, will help you master this shawl shape and empower you on your intuitive shawl-making exploration. Click here to sign up!
MOVE THE NEEDLE ON YOUR KNIT BIZ!
Click here to sign up for a free 30-minute creative business strategy session with Kara!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this episode are affiliate links. I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase and there is no additional cost for you to do so. When I make a recommendation, it is because I have personal experience with these products and have used them myself. I only recommend products I believe in and suggest them because I know they will be helpful, not because of the small commission I make if you decide to make a purchase. The commission I earn helps offset the production expenses that I incur to produce Power Purls, and by purchasing products through these links, also helps you to become a supporter of this podcast and for that, I am truly grateful.