Meet Tara Swiger, marketing expert, author and host of Explore Your Enthusiasm podcast. Tara works with makers and artists to create a sustainable, lovable businesses. She does this through her books, the weekly podcast, online classes, and her in-person workshops. She leads adventures for makers who want to explore your own definition of success!
In this episode, Tara shares tips and strategies from her new book, Map Your Business a workbook of exercises designed to help you create your own personal blueprint to reach goals that are important to you, and how you can use it to define success, set goals and make a plan that you can stick with! In this book, Tara takes an integrative approach, encouraging you to align your life and business, and she invites you to take a look at your progress each quarter to make sure you’re on track.
“Your thoughts impact your feelings, which impact your actions.”
– Tara Swiger
- Tara shares the early days when she started her first creative business making hand-dyed yarns
- How Tara created a job instead of “a business.” Don’t just talk about it … do it!
- The difference between the planning stage and actually having started a business
- How Map Your Business is not just for business, but how to “draw your universe”
- The map-making process that Tara shares in the book can be applied to any part of your life
- The difference between a task and a project – and why understanding this difference is crucial
- Why making a mindmap helps to understand things visually and in a linear way
- How Map Your Business came from a series of pdf workbooks that Tara created for her students
- Tara gives Kara tips on how to do a monthly review in her new business– and explains that this is advice everyone can follow
- There isn’t a “right way” to start a creative business, you need to find what’s right for you
- Tara shares her biggest struggle – a combination of having unrealistic expectations and not getting derailed when things don’t go right.
- Tara explains that there is a way to systematize the overwhelm – make a check list out of it
- The power of making a daily list even if it feels redundant
- Why it’s OK to give yourself permission to say NO to getting certain things done
- Why being a maker contributes to the quality of Tara’s daily life and how knitting socks helps her stay sane during car rides!
- English Paper Piecing #epp is another passion of Tara’s. She loves it so much because this craft is portable much like knitting
- How replying to a tweet led to her being featured in the book bestselling book, Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Before you think about the Etsy shop or marketing – you FIRST need to to create your product and spend time “practicing.”
Check out Tara on Instagram! She’s doing amazing things …
Learn more about Tara:
Podcast: Explore Your Enthusiasm
Mentioned in this episode:
Business and marketing books:
The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion by Gary Vaynerchuk (the book that Tara was mentioned in and one of Kara’s faves!)
The Ask Pat Podcast – Get your online business questions answered, 5 days a week. (and Kara has an Ask Pat T-Shirt too!)
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this episode are affiliate links. I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase and there is no additional cost for you to do so. When I make a recommendation, it is because I have personal experience with these products and have used them myself. I only recommend products I believe in and suggest them because I know they will be helpful, not because of the small commission I make if you decide to make a purchase. The commission I earn helps offset the production expenses that I incur to produce Power Purls, and by purchasing products through these links, also helps you to become a supporter of this podcast and for that, I am truly grateful.
Opening music credit: The Ether Life by Macroform