Meet Stacey Trock, entrepreneur, designer and founder of Fresh Stitches, a successful crochet company and membership club.Stacey also has her hand in a number of pots in the yarn industry. She’s the Creative and Marketing Director for Louet North America and … she’s also a crochet/knitting and business teacher both internationally and on Craftsy, an author of multiple crochet books as well as a co-chair of the Business and Creative Services Leadership committee with TNNA.
Stacy also has a superpower, which is education and community building. Whether it’s teaching someone how to use a crochet hook or instructing local yarn shops how to use social media for their shops, and she enthuses the world with her spunky, can-do-attitude.Stacey shares what it’s like to run a membership club and how she went from offering physical kits and how she reimagined her club this past November to create an all encompassing club and community.
“Curation is the content creation.”
– Stacey Trock
- How Stacey began her journey dabbling with self-publishing patterns on Ravelry and Etsy
- Known for small whimsical crochet animal patterns
- How she reimagined a new way to write an easier to understand pattern
- The intuitive aspects of a crochet pattern
- In 2012, she began a membership club, offering her crochet kits
- Stacey goes through the paces about how she started the club
- The difficulties with managing a physical club
- Why she ended the kit club and shifted to a digital-only club
- How she expanded from club to an all-encompassing community
- Why it’s important to know your audience and what they really want
- The Importance of niching down
- Identify what you’re known for
- Stacey shares her biggest struggle working solo
- Details about Business and Creative Services (BCS) for designers, tech editors, graphic designers, podcasters and bloggers.
- Advice for designers walking The National NeedleArts trade show (TNNA)
- How to sign up for TNNA as a designer or fiber business
- Stacey shares details about her role as Creative and Marketing Director of Louet Yarns
Learn more about Stacey
Community on the web: Freshstitches.com
Stacey’s online classes on Craftsy.com
Click Here to Join the Stitchucation Shawls 5-Day Challenge, Beginning April 10!
Mentioned in this episode
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this episode are affiliate links. I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase and there is no additional cost for you to do so. When I make a recommendation, it is because I have personal experience with these products and have used them myself. I only recommend products I believe in and suggest them because I know they will be helpful, not because of the small commission I make if you decide to make a purchase. The commission I earn helps offset the production expenses that I incur to produce Power Purls, and by purchasing products through these links, also helps you to become a supporter of this podcast and for that, I am truly grateful.
Opening music credit: The Ether Life by Macroform